Wednesday, December 30, 2009

4-Wheeling Birthday Cake

This cake was made for a 10 year old boy, whose birthday was December 10th, as a "clue" about his new 4-wheeler for Christmas.  I left a place at the bottom of the cake for his Mom to add a toy 4-wheeler.



The cake was made using 10", 8" and 6" round cakes stacked off center.  After adding the chocolate buttercream frosting I used my fingers to add the tire tracks and just generally make the surface not smooth.  I wish more cakes could look like mud!  I sprinkled some graham crackers crumbs to add to the dirt effect.  The rocks are chocolate covered bridge mix and the logs are Pirouette cookies.  I made the sign using a plain Hersey's bar.  The trees are sugar cones covered with buttercream frosting using a size 18 star tip.

4 comments:

  1. Do you have your frosting recipe? I don't want the frosting to fall off of the cones : )
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Wilton's buttercream recipe

    http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks great! Did you do anything special to off center the tiers so they don't fall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used cardboard circles under each tier with wodden dowels or straws to support them. You could also use separator plates and pillars (Wilton). Because it was all buttercream I also stored it in the refrigerator until ready to deliver.

    ReplyDelete